iTunes nearing one Billionth download
D-Chance.
2006-02-23 20:46:03 UTC
and I seem to remember an "eh, never work" attitude in a
thread on this group around 2-3 years ago... ;p
Justin
2006-02-23 20:51:00 UTC
itunes is for the hard of hearing.
Ethan Hammond
2006-02-24 01:07:11 UTC
Post by D-Chance.
and I seem to remember an "eh, never work" attitude in a
thread on this group around 2-3 years ago... ;p
People on usenet the same thing about DVD!
--
All Purpose Culture Randomness
http://www.angelfire.com/tx/apcr/index.html
elsie
2006-02-24 01:47:38 UTC
Post by Ethan Hammond
Post by D-Chance.
and I seem to remember an "eh, never work" attitude in a
thread on this group around 2-3 years ago... ;p
People on usenet the same thing about DVD!
--
All Purpose Culture Randomness
http://www.angelfire.com/tx/apcr/index.html
Speaking of Ipod, I'm thinking of getting one to celebrate my pending job
security (The only people left to sign off are the very top folks, and so
I'm feeling relatively confident about tenure). What recommendations do
y'all have in terms of size, video, peripherals?

laurie
Glenn Shaw
2006-02-24 02:59:44 UTC
Post by elsie
Speaking of Ipod, I'm thinking of getting one to celebrate my pending
job security (The only people left to sign off are the very top folks,
and so I'm feeling relatively confident about tenure). What
recommendations do y'all have in terms of size, video, peripherals?
If you're active or have a small music library (and you aren't likely to
expand it anytime soon), I'd get a 4GB nano; otherwise, get whichever of
the two video-enabled models you can afford (especially if you want to
put videos or vodcasts on it).

You can charge an iPod via USB, but that requires you to have your
PC/Mac powered up for about 4-6 hours (the length of time it takes for
an iPod to fully charge, on average). It's better to plunk the money
down on the USB Power Adapter so you can charge your iPod from a wall
outlet.

If you want to listen to your iPod while driving, a car adapter is a
must (to keep your iPod powered during long trips), as is a way to get
the music to your car's speaker system -- using a cassette adapter is
best if your car's radio doesn't have an audio-in jack.

If you want to buy music from the iTunes Music Store, I'd buy a prepaid
iTMS card *first*, then create an iTMS account through iTunes -- that
way, you can buy music without using a credit card online. (If you have
a PayPal account, you can use that, too.)

Oh, and bookmark iLounge.com -- that site has comprehensive reviews on
iPods, accessories and software. :)

HTH. HAND. :)
--
Glenn Shaw • Indianapolis, IN USA
To reply by e-mail, remove "nospam" and swap "cast" and "net"
Justin
It's safer to use a credit card online that at the local Cracker Barrel.
Eric Schwartz
2006-02-24 14:52:12 UTC
Post by Glenn Shaw
You can charge an iPod via USB, but that requires you to have your
PC/Mac powered up for about 4-6 hours (the length of time it takes for
an iPod to fully charge, on average). It's better to plunk the money
down on the USB Power Adapter so you can charge your iPod from a wall
outlet.
My 60GB iPod Photo came with one. Check the package contents before
buying anything.
Post by Glenn Shaw
If you want to listen to your iPod while driving, a car adapter is a
must (to keep your iPod powered during long trips), as is a way to get
the music to your car's speaker system -- using a cassette adapter is
best if your car's radio doesn't have an audio-in jack.
The one I've seen get the highest reviews is the Kensignton 33185.
However, it seems to be nigh-unavailable in stores, but if you poke
around on froogle, you can probably find it for around $50. But as
Glenn points out, if your car has a cassette adapter, use it. You'll
get better sound that way than any FM transmitter, and it'll cost you
about $20.

-=Eric
Justin
The newer ones, the iPod videos, only come with the USB cable
ender
2006-02-24 18:30:54 UTC
Post by Glenn Shaw
You can charge an iPod via USB, but that requires you to have your
PC/Mac powered up for about 4-6 hours (the length of time it takes for
an iPod to fully charge, on average).
This shouldn't be necessary - I've got a wireless mouse that has a battery
charger built-in it's base station, and it charges the batteries just fine
while the computer is powered off (off as in Start->Shutdown, but still
connected to mains).
--
< ender ><><><><><><><>+Jco-<><><><><><><>+Jco-<><><><><><><>< e at ena dot si >

Because 10 billion years' time is so fragile, so ephemeral... it arouses
such a bittersweet, almost heartbreaking fondness.
Glenn Shaw
2006-02-24 20:37:05 UTC
Post by ender
Post by Glenn Shaw
You can charge an iPod via USB, but that requires you to have your
PC/Mac powered up for about 4-6 hours (the length of time it takes
for an iPod to fully charge, on average).
This shouldn't be necessary - I've got a wireless mouse that has a
battery charger built-in it's base station, and it charges the
batteries just fine while the computer is powered off (off as in
Start->Shutdown, but still connected to mains).
Probably because the charger is plugged into a mains outlet, I'll wager.
Like my Logitech BT cordless laser mouse.
ender
2006-02-24 21:08:24 UTC
Post by Glenn Shaw
Probably because the charger is plugged into a mains outlet, I'll wager.
Like my Logitech BT cordless laser mouse.
Nope, just USB. I was surprised that the batteries kept charging the first
time I switched off the computer after I got the mouse, but it looks like
USB ports are powered when the computer's off just like PS2 ports are.

Glenn Shaw
2006-02-24 21:41:12 UTC
Post by ender
Post by Glenn Shaw
Probably because the charger is plugged into a mains outlet, I'll
wager. Like my Logitech BT cordless laser mouse.
Nope, just USB. I was surprised that the batteries kept charging the
first time I switched off the computer after I got the mouse, but it
looks like USB ports are powered when the computer's off just like PS2
ports are.
Ah, I see. Must be something in your PC, because the USB ports on mine
-- as well as those on the external self-powered hub -- go as dead as a
doornail when I turn my PC off. :(
ender
2006-02-24 22:05:03 UTC
Post by Glenn Shaw
Ah, I see. Must be something in your PC, because the USB ports on mine
-- as well as those on the external self-powered hub -- go as dead as a
doornail when I turn my PC off. :(
It was the same on both my motherboards - Gigabyte VA-7XP and Asus A8N-Sli
Deluxe, and I have reason to believe the same thing applies to the HP
machine I have at work, too.

Eric Schwartz
2006-02-24 22:08:28 UTC
Post by ender
Post by Glenn Shaw
Ah, I see. Must be something in your PC, because the USB ports on mine
-- as well as those on the external self-powered hub -- go as dead as a
doornail when I turn my PC off. :(
It was the same on both my motherboards - Gigabyte VA-7XP and Asus A8N-Sli
Deluxe, and I have reason to believe the same thing applies to the HP
machine I have at work, too.
It doesn't happen on the HP Compaq nc6220 I have sitting on my desk
right now, nor does it on the dual G4 tower I have (had, it's in
storage now) at home.

-=Eric
Ethan Hammond
2006-02-25 09:32:33 UTC
Post by elsie
Speaking of Ipod, I'm thinking of getting one to celebrate my pending job
security (The only people left to sign off are the very top folks, and so
I'm feeling relatively confident about tenure). What recommendations do
y'all have in terms of size, video, peripherals?
Well I am pretty sure it is not the size of your ipod but what you download
to it! Also congratulations on getting tenure, now you can goof off and eat
candy all day long, oh how sweet it will be!
elsie
2006-02-25 12:58:00 UTC
Post by Ethan Hammond
Post by elsie
Speaking of Ipod, I'm thinking of getting one to celebrate my pending job
security (The only people left to sign off are the very top folks, and so
I'm feeling relatively confident about tenure). What recommendations do
y'all have in terms of size, video, peripherals?
Well I am pretty sure it is not the size of your ipod but what you download
to it! Also congratulations on getting tenure, now you can goof off and eat
candy all day long, oh how sweet it will be!
Oh, work's still got to be done, and I have too strong a sense of obligation
not to do it. I do consider tenure permission to write lots of scholarly
articles about anime about which my colleagues will go, "Huh?"

laurie
Abraham Evangelista
2006-02-25 17:32:07 UTC
Post by elsie
Post by Ethan Hammond
Post by elsie
Speaking of Ipod, I'm thinking of getting one to celebrate my pending job
security (The only people left to sign off are the very top folks, and so
I'm feeling relatively confident about tenure). What recommendations do
y'all have in terms of size, video, peripherals?
Well I am pretty sure it is not the size of your ipod but what you download
to it! Also congratulations on getting tenure, now you can goof off and eat
candy all day long, oh how sweet it will be!
Oh, work's still got to be done, and I have too strong a sense of obligation
not to do it. I do consider tenure permission to write lots of scholarly
articles about anime about which my colleagues will go, "Huh?"
OOO! OOO! OOO! Does this mean you'll be in a position to author the
paper on Anime Iconography that I so desparately want to see published
in a proper academic journal?
Post by elsie
laurie
--
"ZAKKENAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"
Abraham Evangelista
elsie
2006-02-25 17:42:58 UTC
Post by Abraham Evangelista
Post by elsie
Post by Ethan Hammond
Post by elsie
Speaking of Ipod, I'm thinking of getting one to celebrate my pending job
security (The only people left to sign off are the very top folks, and so
I'm feeling relatively confident about tenure). What recommendations do
y'all have in terms of size, video, peripherals?
Well I am pretty sure it is not the size of your ipod but what you download
to it! Also congratulations on getting tenure, now you can goof off and eat
candy all day long, oh how sweet it will be!
Oh, work's still got to be done, and I have too strong a sense of obligation
not to do it. I do consider tenure permission to write lots of scholarly
articles about anime about which my colleagues will go, "Huh?"
OOO! OOO! OOO! Does this mean you'll be in a position to author the
paper on Anime Iconography that I so desparately want to see published
in a proper academic journal?
Explain exactly what you mean by anime iconography and I may go for it. It
sounds like fun.

laurie
Abraham Evangelista
2006-02-25 18:10:46 UTC
Post by elsie
Post by Ethan Hammond
Post by elsie
[...]
Well consider the iconography of early christian art: the dove as the
holy spirit, the fish as Christ, and the serpent as Satan. For a
similar religeous example, consider the associations drawn between
perfect geometric regularity and God in Islamic art.

In anime, there are similar, obvious visual cues that indicate the
state or nature of a character. When an fan sees a character with a
sweatdrop, bulging veins in his forehead, or even wearing white
bear-print panties, it means something very specific.

To an extent, Giles Poitras has addressed many of these topics in his
"Anime Companion", but his books tend to cover cultural aspects of
japan and how they relate to anime. What I like to see is a paper
dealing with the specifics of themes found ONLY in anime.
Post by elsie
laurie
--
"ZAKKENAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"
Abraham Evangelista
Ethan Hammond
2006-03-04 09:52:59 UTC
Post by elsie
Post by Ethan Hammond
Well I am pretty sure it is not the size of your ipod but what you download
to it! Also congratulations on getting tenure, now you can goof off and eat
candy all day long, oh how sweet it will be!
Oh, work's still got to be done, and I have too strong a sense of
obligation not to do it. I do consider tenure permission to write lots of
scholarly articles about anime about which my colleagues will go, "Huh?"
Scholary articles on the irresistable appeal of catgirls is what is needed,
NEEDED!
Sea Wasp
2006-03-04 12:56:51 UTC
Post by Ethan Hammond
Post by elsie
Oh, work's still got to be done, and I have too strong a sense of
obligation not to do it. I do consider tenure permission to write lots of
scholarly articles about anime about which my colleagues will go, "Huh?"
Scholary articles on the irresistable appeal of catgirls is what is needed,
NEEDED!
You forgot to shake your fist, SHAKE IT!!! *SHAKES ETHAN*
--
Sea Wasp
/^\
Live Journal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/seawasp/
Ethan Hammond
2006-03-05 09:55:49 UTC
Post by Sea Wasp
Post by Ethan Hammond
Post by elsie
Oh, work's still got to be done, and I have too strong a sense of
obligation not to do it. I do consider tenure permission to write lots of
scholarly articles about anime about which my colleagues will go, "Huh?"
Scholary articles on the irresistable appeal of catgirls is what is needed,
NEEDED!
You forgot to shake your fist, SHAKE IT!!! *SHAKES ETHAN*
*SHAKES IT!* W00t!
Rob Kelk
2006-02-24 01:58:55 UTC
On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 14:46:03 -0600, "D-Chance."
Post by D-Chance.
and I seem to remember an "eh, never work" attitude in a
thread on this group around 2-3 years ago... ;p
How many years did it take? And how many weeks did it take BitTorrent
to get to the same number of music downloads? Food for thought...
--
Rob Kelk <http://robkelk.ottawa-anime.org/> e-mail: s/deadspam/gmail/
"I'm *not* a kid! Nyyyeaaah!" - Skuld (in "Oh My Goddess!" OAV #3)
childishness and the desire to be very grown-up." - C.S. Lewis, 1947
Glenn Shaw
2006-02-24 03:01:07 UTC
Post by D-Chance.
and I seem to remember an "eh, never work" attitude in a
thread on this group around 2-3 years ago... ;p
How many years did it take? And how many weeks did it take BitTorrent
to get to the same number of music downloads? Food for thought...
Yeah, but how many of those BitTorrent downloads were *legal*? 100% of
the iTMS downloads were. Even more food for thought....
Justin
2006-02-24 03:15:37 UTC
Post by D-Chance.
and I seem to remember an "eh, never work" attitude in a
thread on this group around 2-3 years ago... ;p
How many years did it take? And how many weeks did it take BitTorrent
to get to the same number of music downloads? Food for thought...
Yeah, but how many of those BitTorrent downloads were *legal*? 100% of
the iTMS downloads were. Even more food for thought....
How many of the BT downloads were better quality than an iTunes
download? Hint. A lot.
Sea Wasp
2006-02-24 12:40:53 UTC
Post by Justin
Post by D-Chance.
and I seem to remember an "eh, never work" attitude in a
thread on this group around 2-3 years ago... ;p
How many years did it take? And how many weeks did it take BitTorrent
to get to the same number of music downloads? Food for thought...
Yeah, but how many of those BitTorrent downloads were *legal*? 100% of
the iTMS downloads were. Even more food for thought....
How many of the BT downloads were better quality than an iTunes
download? Hint. A lot.
How many people can tell the difference (blind, not told beforehand)?
One in a thousand, perhaps.

I use iTunes quite a bit. I don't use BitTorrent. The only thing I
don't like about iTunes is that it doesn't have everything I want. But
then, neither does my corner store.
--
Sea Wasp
/^\
Live Journal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/seawasp/
Justin
2006-02-24 14:34:41 UTC
Post by Sea Wasp
Post by Justin
Post by D-Chance.
and I seem to remember an "eh, never work" attitude in a
thread on this group around 2-3 years ago... ;p
How many years did it take? And how many weeks did it take BitTorrent
to get to the same number of music downloads? Food for thought...
Yeah, but how many of those BitTorrent downloads were *legal*? 100% of
the iTMS downloads were. Even more food for thought....
How many of the BT downloads were better quality than an iTunes
download? Hint. A lot.
How many people can tell the difference (blind, not told beforehand)?
One in a thousand, perhaps.
I can name two that live in my household.
I buy the CDs myself and rip them to mp3 at a high bitrate.
ender
2006-02-24 18:32:15 UTC
Post by Justin
Post by Sea Wasp
How many people can tell the difference (blind, not told beforehand)?
One in a thousand, perhaps.
I can name two that live in my household.
That's rare - nobody in my household besides me hears a difference between
96kbps MP3 and CD-audio.

Eric Schwartz
2006-02-24 18:35:30 UTC
Post by ender
Post by Justin
Post by Sea Wasp
How many people can tell the difference (blind, not told beforehand)?
One in a thousand, perhaps.
I can name two that live in my household.
That's rare - nobody in my household besides me hears a difference between
96kbps MP3 and CD-audio.
96? You must live in a nigh-deaf household, because almost anybody I
know can tell the difference between 128kbps mp3 and CD audio. Then
again, it can also depend on the music-- I frequently encode
audiobooks at 64kbps, and don't really mind the loss of quality.

-=Eric
The Wanderer
2006-02-24 18:52:59 UTC
Post by Eric Schwartz
Post by ender
Post by Justin
I can name two that live in my household.
That's rare - nobody in my household besides me hears a difference
between 96kbps MP3 and CD-audio.
96? You must live in a nigh-deaf household, because almost anybody I
know can tell the difference between 128kbps mp3 and CD audio. Then
again, it can also depend on the music-- I frequently encode
audiobooks at 64kbps, and don't really mind the loss of quality.
I find that I can sometimes, although not necessarily always, tell the
difference even between 96kbps MP3 and 128kbps MP3 - to say nothing of
the further gap up to CD audio. 96kbps is rarely good enough to really
listen to, to my mind.

Just as a datapoint.

(I'm suddenly remembering the people who claimed not to be able to hear
the difference between audio clips from the LDs and official-R1-release
DVDs of Sailor Moon, not long before PGSM hit...)
--
The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.
Justin
Wow. 96 kbps sounds like crap compared to CD
ender
2006-02-24 21:18:30 UTC
Post by Justin
Wow. 96 kbps sounds like crap compared to CD
I feel the same about 128 and 160.

Rob Kelk
2006-02-24 13:38:07 UTC
Post by D-Chance.
and I seem to remember an "eh, never work" attitude in a
thread on this group around 2-3 years ago... ;p
How many years did it take? And how many weeks did it take BitTorrent
to get to the same number of music downloads? Food for thought...
Yeah, but how many of those BitTorrent downloads were *legal*? 100% of
the iTMS downloads were. Even more food for thought....
Where I live (Canada), all of them. We pay a licence fee on blank CDs
specifically so that we're allowed to copy or download music.
Gerardo Campos
2006-02-24 18:17:49 UTC
***@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk) wrote on Fri 24 Feb 2006 07:38:07a:

<snip>
Post by Rob Kelk
Post by Glenn Shaw
Yeah, but how many of those BitTorrent downloads were *legal*? 100% of
the iTMS downloads were. Even more food for thought....
Where I live (Canada), all of them. We pay a licence fee on blank CDs
specifically so that we're allowed to copy or download music.
in Canada, how much of that downloaded music is actually burned into CDs?
--
Saludos
Gerardo Campos
Justin
Does it matter?
Gerardo Campos
2006-02-25 18:15:14 UTC
Post by Justin
Post by Gerardo Campos
<snip>
Post by Rob Kelk
Post by Glenn Shaw
Yeah, but how many of those BitTorrent downloads were *legal*? 100%
of the iTMS downloads were. Even more food for thought....
Where I live (Canada), all of them. We pay a licence fee on blank
CDs specifically so that we're allowed to copy or download music.
in Canada, how much of that downloaded music is actually burned into CDs?
Does it matter?
not really, I am just curious, since Rob indicated that they are legally
allowed to copy or download music, but if I download music in Canada and
save it in a memory card or keep it in my hard drive and I never buy CDs,
what is my legal situation?
--
Saludos
Gerardo Campos
Abraham Evangelista
2006-02-25 18:19:24 UTC
Post by Gerardo Campos
Post by Justin
Post by Gerardo Campos
<snip>
Post by Rob Kelk
Post by Glenn Shaw
Yeah, but how many of those BitTorrent downloads were *legal*? 100%
of the iTMS downloads were. Even more food for thought....
Where I live (Canada), all of them. We pay a licence fee on blank
CDs specifically so that we're allowed to copy or download music.
in Canada, how much of that downloaded music is actually burned into CDs?
Does it matter?
not really, I am just curious, since Rob indicated that they are legally
allowed to copy or download music, but if I download music in Canada and
save it in a memory card or keep it in my hard drive and I never buy CDs,
what is my legal situation?
Well, I can't speak for your situation, but U.S. citizens are bound by
our domestic laws even when out of country, so we'd still be
infringing even if we did it north of the border.

Does Mexico not have similar stipulations regarding overseas conduct?
--
"ZAKKENAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"
Abraham Evangelista
Justin
Which is another issue entirely. Local laws are what apply.
Gerardo Campos
2006-02-26 03:54:05 UTC
Post by Abraham Evangelista
Post by Gerardo Campos
Post by Justin
Post by Gerardo Campos
<snip>
Post by Rob Kelk
Post by Glenn Shaw
Yeah, but how many of those BitTorrent downloads were *legal*?
100% of the iTMS downloads were. Even more food for thought....
Where I live (Canada), all of them. We pay a licence fee on blank
CDs specifically so that we're allowed to copy or download music.
in Canada, how much of that downloaded music is actually burned into CDs?
Does it matter?
not really, I am just curious, since Rob indicated that they are
legally allowed to copy or download music, but if I download music in
Canada and save it in a memory card or keep it in my hard drive and I
never buy CDs, what is my legal situation?
Well, I can't speak for your situation, but U.S. citizens are bound by
our domestic laws even when out of country, so we'd still be
infringing even if we did it north of the border.
Does Mexico not have similar stipulations regarding overseas conduct?
No, Mexicans, as well as everybody must follow the local country law,
regardles of citizenship. No country has the right to impose their domestic
laws overseas. If you decide to adhere to your home laws while overseas and
those does not affect the local laws, that is fine, for example:

Usually, in the US you must be at least 16 years old to get a driving
licence and drive a car, in Mexico you need to be 18 years old, so if you
are younger than 18 years old and found driving a car, then you are
breaking the law.

In the US you must be at least 21 years old to drinc alcoholic beverages,
in Mexico you need to be 18 years old, so its up to you if you are older
than 18 and younger than 21 if you are in Mexico and decide to have a
drink.

Comething that happened recently:

A diplomatic issue was raised when the US Treasury department ordered
Starwood (Sheraton) to tell a Sheraton hotel in Mexico City to expel Cuban
citizens from its premises, because of a US law banning commercial
relationship with Cuba.

The Sheraton hotel was fined for disobeying a law regarding discrimination
and ordered to pay compensation to the Cuban citizens, since the hotel
refused to return the payment on advance that the Cubans did for the hotel
services. The hotel in Mexico City was spared of being forced out of
business, since they could demonstrate that the order came directly from
their corporative office Starwood, acting as the Hotel owners, and not from
the US goverment.
--
Saludos
Gerardo Campos
Abraham Evangelista
2006-02-26 04:24:53 UTC
Post by Gerardo Campos
Post by Abraham Evangelista
Post by Gerardo Campos
Post by Justin
Post by Gerardo Campos
<snip>
Post by Rob Kelk
Post by Glenn Shaw
Yeah, but how many of those BitTorrent downloads were *legal*?
100% of the iTMS downloads were. Even more food for thought....
Where I live (Canada), all of them. We pay a licence fee on blank
CDs specifically so that we're allowed to copy or download music.
in Canada, how much of that downloaded music is actually burned into CDs?
Does it matter?
not really, I am just curious, since Rob indicated that they are
legally allowed to copy or download music, but if I download music in
Canada and save it in a memory card or keep it in my hard drive and I
never buy CDs, what is my legal situation?
A different but just as interesting question is, if I download music
to a Physically canadian box, and have purchased canadian blanks, can
I then legally transfer them from that machine to my own down here in
the states?
Post by Gerardo Campos
Post by Abraham Evangelista
Well, I can't speak for your situation, but U.S. citizens are bound by
our domestic laws even when out of country, so we'd still be
infringing even if we did it north of the border.
Does Mexico not have similar stipulations regarding overseas conduct?
No, Mexicans, as well as everybody must follow the local country law,
I wasn't talking about local laws. You're completely right in that
you must follow local laws when you're in thier locale. But there are
at least some cases where specific laws regarding what we can do
overseas are in effect from our home governments.
Post by Gerardo Campos
regardles of citizenship. No country has the right to impose their domestic
laws overseas. If you decide to adhere to your home laws while overseas and
That works fine when the local law is more restrictive, but is kind of
a grey area when the local laws are less so.

To use (an UGLY) example, for U.S. citizens at least, sex tourism is
explicitly prohibited by a specific law.

http://usinfo.state.gov/gi/Archive/2003/Dec/17-227348.html

That said, a quick set of google searches on my part seems to reveal
that this is a special case, and not true of jurisdiction in general.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/living/drugs/drugs_1237.html

I'm undone by the "US jurisdiction" bit around the end. So in
essence, I'm right specifically about sex tourism, but you're more
right in general. :-) I lose!
Post by Gerardo Campos
Usually, in the US you must be at least 16 years old to get a driving
licence and drive a car, in Mexico you need to be 18 years old, so if you
are younger than 18 years old and found driving a car, then you are
breaking the law.
Again, local laws are more restrictive.
Post by Gerardo Campos
[...]
I won't argue the validity of the verdict, but I am curious. When you
say they demonstrated the order came from the corporate office, do you
mean the order to expel the Cubans, or the order not to refund thier
deposits?
--
"ZAKKENAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"
Abraham Evangelista
Gerardo Campos
2006-02-26 18:49:53 UTC
<snip>
Post by Gerardo Campos
The Sheraton hotel was fined for disobeying a law regarding
discrimination and ordered to pay compensation to the Cuban citizens,
since the hotel refused to return the payment on advance that the
Cubans did for the hotel services. The hotel in Mexico City was spared
of being forced out of business, since they could demonstrate that the
order came directly from their corporative office Starwood, acting as
the Hotel owners, and not from the US goverment.
I won't argue the validity of the verdict, but I am curious. When you
say they demonstrated the order came from the corporate office, do you
mean the order to expel the Cubans, or the order not to refund thier
deposits?
Both,

If I recall correctly, a US Law requires to US companies to do not engage
in a commercial relationship with Cuban citizens (like renting lodging
services) and to block or freeze Cuban assets that enter US Jurisdiction
(the resources to pay for the service).

So, the company is not allowed to return their deposits, but since the
hotel is physically located in Mexico, the US Jurisdiction does not apply
to US company premises located outside of the US, they are obligated to
return the deposit, and to pay a fine for discrimiation actions,
according to local law.
--
Saludos
Gerardo Campos
Gerardo Campos
2006-02-26 18:56:27 UTC
Abraham Evangelista <***@verizon.net> wrote on Sat 25 Feb 2006
10:24:53p:

<snip>
Post by Abraham Evangelista
A different but just as interesting question is, if I download music
to a Physically canadian box, and have purchased canadian blanks, can
I then legally transfer them from that machine to my own down here in
the states?
I don't think so, I recall Rob indicated that is illegal to upload music,
so your canadian box will be uploading music to you.

To be legal, I think you need to burn the music from your canadian box,
into your canadian CDs and then import the CDs to your country, a country
that also has a restriction on how many CDs you can import free of duty
--
Saludos
Gerardo Campos
sanjian
If you download music, are you an accessory to uploading?
Rob Kelk
2006-02-26 23:56:46 UTC
Post by sanjian
Post by Gerardo Campos
<snip>
Post by Abraham Evangelista
A different but just as interesting question is, if I download music
to a Physically canadian box, and have purchased canadian blanks, can
I then legally transfer them from that machine to my own down here in
the states?
I don't think so, I recall Rob indicated that is illegal to upload
music, so your canadian box will be uploading music to you.
To be legal, I think you need to burn the music from your canadian
box, into your canadian CDs and then import the CDs to your country,
a country that also has a restriction on how many CDs you can import
free of duty
If you download music, are you an accessory to uploading?
I don't believe so. After all, the presence or absence of downloaders
doesn't affect whether something is uploaded.
sanjian
If nobody downloaded, there would be no reason to upload.
Rob Kelk
2006-02-27 01:50:16 UTC
Post by sanjian
Post by Rob Kelk
Post by sanjian
Post by Gerardo Campos
<snip>
Post by Abraham Evangelista
A different but just as interesting question is, if I download
music to a Physically canadian box, and have purchased canadian
blanks, can I then legally transfer them from that machine to my
own down here in the states?
I don't think so, I recall Rob indicated that is illegal to upload
music, so your canadian box will be uploading music to you.
To be legal, I think you need to burn the music from your canadian
box, into your canadian CDs and then import the CDs to your country,
a country that also has a restriction on how many CDs you can import
free of duty
If you download music, are you an accessory to uploading?
I don't believe so. After all, the presence or absence of downloaders
doesn't affect whether something is uploaded.
If nobody downloaded, there would be no reason to upload.
If nobody read a blog, there would be no reason to create it... but
there are thousands of blogs that nobody reads.
sanjian
2006-02-27 02:40:47 UTC
Post by Rob Kelk
Post by sanjian
Post by Rob Kelk
Post by sanjian
Post by Gerardo Campos
<snip>
[...]
Mostly in hopes of getting readers (even if it's only a few close friends).
If nobody read blogs, there would likely be very few blogs.
Ethan Hammond
2006-02-27 10:38:16 UTC
Post by Rob Kelk
Post by sanjian
If nobody downloaded, there would be no reason to upload.
If nobody read a blog, there would be no reason to create it... but
there are thousands of blogs that nobody reads.
Not even the feds?
Justin
With p2p, if there is no downloading there is no uploading.
sanjian
No, but I can see the courts interpreting that as sending and recieving.
Justin
It's perfectly legal.
Rob Kelk
2006-02-25 20:48:40 UTC
Post by Gerardo Campos
Post by Justin
Post by Gerardo Campos
<snip>
Post by Rob Kelk
Post by Glenn Shaw
Yeah, but how many of those BitTorrent downloads were *legal*? 100%
of the iTMS downloads were. Even more food for thought....
Where I live (Canada), all of them. We pay a licence fee on blank
CDs specifically so that we're allowed to copy or download music.
in Canada, how much of that downloaded music is actually burned into CDs?
Does it matter?
not really, I am just curious, since Rob indicated that they are legally
allowed to copy or download music, but if I download music in Canada and
save it in a memory card or keep it in my hard drive and I never buy CDs,
what is my legal situation?
If you never buy blank CDs, then it isn't legal; you haven't paid the
licence fee.

If you buy blank CDs but never use them, that's fine; you've paid the
licence fee.

I think. I'm not a lawyer...
Gerardo Campos
2006-02-26 03:54:58 UTC
Post by Rob Kelk
Post by Gerardo Campos
Post by Justin
Post by Gerardo Campos
<snip>
Post by Rob Kelk
Post by Glenn Shaw
Yeah, but how many of those BitTorrent downloads were *legal*?
100% of the iTMS downloads were. Even more food for thought....
Where I live (Canada), all of them. We pay a licence fee on blank
CDs specifically so that we're allowed to copy or download music.
in Canada, how much of that downloaded music is actually burned into CDs?
Does it matter?
not really, I am just curious, since Rob indicated that they are
legally allowed to copy or download music, but if I download music in
Canada and save it in a memory card or keep it in my hard drive and I
never buy CDs, what is my legal situation?
If you never buy blank CDs, then it isn't legal; you haven't paid the
licence fee.
If you buy blank CDs but never use them, that's fine; you've paid the
licence fee.
I think. I'm not a lawyer...
Ok, fair enough.
--
Saludos
Gerardo Campos
ender
2006-02-24 18:33:14 UTC
Post by Rob Kelk
Where I live (Canada), all of them. We pay a licence fee on blank CDs
specifically so that we're allowed to copy or download music.
Is that really the purpose of that licence fee? Usually it's meant just to
allow you to make personal copies of CDs/tapes you own...

Rob Kelk
2006-02-25 20:52:05 UTC
Post by ender
Post by Rob Kelk
Where I live (Canada), all of them. We pay a licence fee on blank CDs
specifically so that we're allowed to copy or download music.
Is that really the purpose of that licence fee? Usually it's meant just to
allow you to make personal copies of CDs/tapes you own...
In March 2004, the Copyright Board (part of the judicial branch in
Canada) decided that the licence fee also applies to downloaded music.

Uploading music is still illegal, so I have to find either an off-shore
source or somebody who's breaking the law, but downloading is fine after
I've paid the licence fee (i.e. bought the blank CDs).
sanjian
2006-02-25 21:15:36 UTC
Post by Rob Kelk
Post by ender
Post by Rob Kelk
Where I live (Canada), all of them. We pay a licence fee on blank
CDs specifically so that we're allowed to copy or download music.
Is that really the purpose of that licence fee? Usually it's meant
just to allow you to make personal copies of CDs/tapes you own...
In March 2004, the Copyright Board (part of the judicial branch in
Canada) decided that the licence fee also applies to downloaded music.
Uploading music is still illegal, so I have to find either an
off-shore source or somebody who's breaking the law, but downloading
is fine after I've paid the licence fee (i.e. bought the blank CDs).
I wonder if anyone's ever sued for a refund for CDs used for non-music
purposes.