[OT][NEWS] Japan's Princess Kiko is Pregnant
Daniel Rudy
2006-02-07 08:18:44 UTC
For those of you who follow events across the pacific, I thought that
this might be of interest:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/07/AR2006020700128.html
--
Daniel Rudy

Email address has been base64 encoded to reduce spam
Decode email address using b64decode or uudecode -m

Why geeks like computers: look chat date touch grep make unzip
strip view finger mount fcsk more fcsk yes spray umount sleep
sanjian
2006-02-07 11:39:58 UTC
Post by Daniel Rudy
For those of you who follow events across the pacific, I thought that
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/07/AR2006020700128.html
You know, this isn't exactly the first time a woman would be Emperor of
Japan (and, no, before someone tries to correct me, emperess is properly
reserved for the wife of the emperor... no, I don't know what the husband of
an emperor is). Just let the little munchkin take the throne, and it's all
good.
Lee Ratner
2006-02-07 14:30:16 UTC
Post by sanjian
Post by Daniel Rudy
For those of you who follow events across the pacific, I thought that
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/07/AR2006020700128.html
You know, this isn't exactly the first time a woman would be Emperor of
Japan (and, no, before someone tries to correct me, emperess is properly
reserved for the wife of the emperor... no, I don't know what the husband of
an emperor is). Just let the little munchkin take the throne, and it's all
good.
Yeah but it always was an emergency type thing and the last
woman on the throne was in the early 1600s and those before here during
the 600s.
l***@my-deja.com
2006-02-07 16:10:34 UTC
She's apparently been trying to get pregnant for awhile, right? Well,
as I always say in such situations:

"Put more men on the job!"
s***@gmail.com
2006-02-07 20:53:01 UTC
I say the 2 current Prince are useless.

1) Between the 2 of them they can't produce a male heir. The fault is
never the female unless the Princess don't want to carry any more but
then again what the heck does royalties do all day any way? They have
it made for life unlike us lowly people.

2) If the Princesses don't want to carry then find other candidates for
the job. According to the ancient ways a prince can have more than one
wives

3) Use modern medine to give them a male heir. I heard it only cost a
few grand. Think out of the box to get what they want.

Get to work is what I say... This is not worthy news to listen to.
"Put more men on the job!"
Nuki Mouse
2006-02-07 18:41:05 UTC
Post by Lee Ratner
Post by sanjian
Post by Daniel Rudy
For those of you who follow events across the pacific, I thought that
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/07/AR2006020700128.html
You know, this isn't exactly the first time a woman would be Emperor of
Japan (and, no, before someone tries to correct me, emperess is properly
reserved for the wife of the emperor... no, I don't know what the husband of
an emperor is). Just let the little munchkin take the throne, and it's all
good.
Yeah but it always was an emergency type thing and the last
woman on the throne was in the early 1600s and those before here during
the 600s.
Wrong, Empress Go-Sakuramachi ruled in the mid to late 18th century and was
chosen by her brother to be the next ruler after him and not due to some
sort of emergency, mainly due to his son being too young, and even though
there were other older male cousins that could rule.

Same with the 6 Empresses from the 6th though 9th centuries, Empress Genmei
even directly succeeded her mother Empress Saimei to the throne as her
chosen successor.
Only Empress Meisho truly came to power solely due to an emergency, a
scandal involving her Father, and her uncle the Shogun and her mother's wet
nurse. She was a puppet though, her father the former Emperor Go-Mizunoo
still openly ruled in her name.

Nuki Mouse
--
"This is just my opinion, I maybe wrong" D. Miller
"Defend free speech! Read a banned book today!" unknown.
your right to say it," S. Tallentyre, summarizing Voltaire's views.
The Amazing Human Echo
the 600s.
Nuki Mouse
2006-02-07 17:59:07 UTC
Post by sanjian
Post by Daniel Rudy
For those of you who follow events across the pacific, I thought that
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/07/AR2006020700128.html
You know, this isn't exactly the first time a woman would be Emperor of
Japan
Unless the woman in question under goes a sex change operation, she will
Still be Empress.
as in Empress Kogyoku (Saimei), Empress Shotoku, Empress Gemmei, Empress
Gensho, Empress Meisho, Empress Suiko, Empress Jito, and the last woman to
be a Ruling Empress of Japan, Empress Go-Sakuramachi in the mid to late 18th
century, not the early 1600's. BTW, only 1 of them was a true "puppet "
(Empress Meisho) IIRC, the rest were either named by the previous Emperor as
their successor, like in the case of Empress Go-Sakuramachi, or were the
it.

Of course Japan could be wrong about calling their female rulers Empress,
maybe you should contact the Imperial Castle and tell them they been wrong
for over 1500 years since the reign of the 1st Ruling Empress Kogyoku.
While you are at it, you might also tell Russia they're wrong about Empress
Catherine the Great as well.
Post by sanjian
(and, no, before someone tries to correct me, emperess is properly
reserved for the wife of the emperor... no, I don't know what the husband
of an emperor is).
Gay

But the Husband of the Empress would use the term "Consort" in his title,
and would most likely also be at most a Prince since he was not crowned as
Emperor. Kind of like how Queen Elizabeth's husband is Prince-Consort
Philip, and not King or King-Consort even though he is also was a member of
the English Royal family, and Prince of 2 other countries as well.
Post by sanjian
Just let the little munchkin take the throne, and it's all good.
Until Japan clarified the right of succession in their Constitution to be
the next royal male in line to the throne, the next oldest male in line was
not always assured the throne. The previous Emperor could name another in
the Royal family to be his successor, or if the oldest male was out of favor
with the Court or otherwise weak politically when the emperor died, he
(again) was often bypassed in favor of another. This caused problems in the
past, so they made the conditions and order of succession part of the
Constitution.

Now, Japan has to change their Constitution to allow a female to rule again,
something no country should take lightly.
BTW, I see nothing wrong with Japan having a ninth Empress, but I'm not
Japanese nor do I live in Japan, it is up to the Japanese people and
government to decide that issue.

Nuki Mouse
Ethan Hammond
2006-02-08 06:42:46 UTC
Post by Daniel Rudy
For those of you who follow events across the pacific, I thought that
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/07/AR2006020700128.html
Heh, Prince Akishino has a creepy Hitler mustache.
I hope they get all worked up about it being a boy only
to have another girl born, bwah ha ha ha!
--
All Purpose Culture Randomness
http://www.angelfire.com/tx/apcr/index.html
Ethan Hammond
2006-02-08 06:47:03 UTC
I am pretty sure there will be an Empress Natsume Atsuko!
sanjian
2006-02-08 11:12:42 UTC
Post by Ethan Hammond
I am pretty sure there will be an Empress Natsume Atsuko!
Dear Urd, Ethan, don't you ever quit?

I'm starting to see why others have killfiled you. It's not because you're
a troll or because you're offensive... but because they just get tired of
your game.
The Eternal Lost Lurker
2006-02-08 13:22:17 UTC
Post by sanjian
Post by Ethan Hammond
I am pretty sure there will be an Empress Natsume Atsuko!
Dear Urd, Ethan, don't you ever quit?
No, no he doesn't. Which is probably why he can't hold a job in meatspace,
either. Who wants to work with THAT?
--
PSP. It's like soap you can drop outside.
~~*~~
www.lurkerdrome.com
Astrobiochemist
2006-02-10 19:50:05 UTC
Doesn't Ethan work at Right Stuf? Did that change?
The Eternal Lost Lurker
2006-02-10 19:54:36 UTC
Post by Astrobiochemist
Doesn't Ethan work at Right Stuf? Did that change?
Yeah, several months ago. They got tired of the smell.
www.lurkerdrome.com
Astrobiochemist
2006-02-10 20:19:02 UTC
Post by The Eternal Lost Lurker
Post by Astrobiochemist
Doesn't Ethan work at Right Stuf? Did that change?
Yeah, several months ago. They got tired of the smell.
I wonder what the actual reason was. Firing an employee for a "smell"
is just asking for a lawsuit. Or, if ELL is correct, what the stated
reason for the firing was?

(Trying to walk fine line without insulting ELL and Ethan)
Derek Janssen
2006-02-10 20:34:46 UTC
Post by Astrobiochemist
Doesn't Ethan work at Right Stuf? Did that change?
Yeah, several months ago. They got tired of the smell.
I wonder what the actual reason was. Firing an employee for a "smell"
is just asking for a lawsuit. Or, if ELL is correct, what the stated
reason for the firing was?
(Trying to walk fine line without insulting ELL and Ethan)
Oh, I don't mind insulting Ethan!: :)
...Just as a guess, could it have been around the same time as we
started getting his same-ol'^2 "wacky trademark" posts at 2 am again,
just like the old days, content unchanged?
(I mean, we were just *kidding* about tipping off the TRSI bosses about
Ethan's Secret Internet Life, we didn't think anyone would actually DO it!)

Well, too bad, Ethan--
Guess you had to choose between Wacky Swim-Wannabe Usenet Postmodernism,
and leading a productive grown-up existence.
And...looks like the other productive grown-ups could spot the difference.

Derek Janssen (oh, *what*?--Like we CAN'T kick him while he's down about
how he can't hold down a responsible job?)
***@comcast.net
Astrobiochemist
2006-02-10 20:50:05 UTC
Post by Astrobiochemist
Doesn't Ethan work at Right Stuf? Did that change?
Yeah, several months ago. They got tired of the smell.
I wonder what the actual reason was. Firing an employee for a "smell"
is just asking for a lawsuit. Or, if ELL is correct, what the stated
reason for the firing was?
(Trying to walk fine line without insulting ELL and Ethan)
Oh, I don't mind insulting Ethan!: :)
...Just as a guess, could it have been around the same time as we
started getting his same-ol'^2 "wacky trademark" posts at 2 am again,
just like the old days, content unchanged?
Looking back through his posts of when he went from liking Right Stuf
to hating them, I'm guessing...November, maybe October?

However, I don't think his behavior in Real Life matches his online
persona (well, it probably isn't as...um, extreme in some of his
statements) but depending on the place, odd behavior usually isn't that
big a deal. I have a lot of odd coworkers where I work and it never
causes any big problems that would lead to them (or me, as I am also
one of the odd-balls) being fired. Of course, I work in a lab, which
means everyone is a science geek and quirkly behavior is just par for
the course.
Ethan Hammond
2006-02-11 11:18:53 UTC
Post by Derek Janssen
Post by Astrobiochemist
(Trying to walk fine line without insulting ELL and Ethan)
Oh, I don't mind insulting Ethan!: :)
...Just as a guess, could it have been around the same time as we started
getting his same-ol'^2 "wacky trademark" posts at 2 am again, just like
the old days, content unchanged?
Did I ever stop, DID I?
Post by Derek Janssen
(I mean, we were just *kidding* about tipping off the TRSI bosses about
Ethan's Secret Internet Life, we didn't think anyone would actually DO it!)
Curse those fiends, CURSE THEM! Although the Nuku Nuku figure on my desk
probably gave me away.
Post by Derek Janssen
Well, too bad, Ethan--
Guess you had to choose between Wacky Swim-Wannabe Usenet Postmodernism,
and leading a productive grown-up existence.
And...looks like the other productive grown-ups could spot the difference.
LOL
Post by Derek Janssen
Derek Janssen (oh, *what*?--Like we CAN'T kick him while he's down about
how he can't hold down a responsible job?)
It has been over 8 months since I worked there.
The Wanderer
2006-02-11 21:08:08 UTC
Post by Ethan Hammond
Post by Derek Janssen
Post by Astrobiochemist
(Trying to walk fine line without insulting ELL and Ethan)
Oh, I don't mind insulting Ethan!: :)
...Just as a guess, could it have been around the same time as we
started getting his same-ol'^2 "wacky trademark" posts at 2 am
again, just like the old days, content unchanged?
Did I ever stop, DID I?
Not completely, but you *did* cut down very sharply.

You still don't do dead-of-night posts in the same kind of volume you
used to, or at least not *quite* so often. Doesn't make the content any
less annoying, though...
--
The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.
Ethan Hammond
2006-02-12 06:46:52 UTC
Post by The Wanderer
You still don't do dead-of-night posts in the same kind of volume you
used to, or at least not *quite* so often. Doesn't make the content any
less annoying, though...
If you care about raam at all you would be best not to complain,
all of you, ALL OF YOU!
The Wanderer
2006-02-12 07:14:01 UTC
Post by The Wanderer
You still don't do dead-of-night posts in the same kind of volume
you used to, or at least not *quite* so often. Doesn't make the
content any less annoying, though...
If you care about raam at all you would be best not to complain, all
of you, ALL OF YOU!
...if that's an implicit threat, or even a warning, I'd ask you to make
it explicit.

If it isn't, what the Frank *do* you mean? And how do you manage to
*not* be insulting in the process? (Or do you actually intend insult?)

(For the record, I fully expect an "Ah ha ha I was only joking"
avoidance of the question.)

Ethan Hammond
2006-02-12 07:23:36 UTC
Post by The Wanderer
...if that's an implicit threat, or even a warning, I'd ask you to make
it explicit.
If it isn't, what the Frank *do* you mean? And how do you manage to
*not* be insulting in the process? (Or do you actually intend insult?)
(For the record, I fully expect an "Ah ha ha I was only joking"
avoidance of the question.)
If I go the group dies, IT DIES! RAAM is nothing w/o the
heart. Also you insulted me first and I really have no idea what
in my response you could take offense at.
Ethan Hammond
2006-02-12 07:26:19 UTC
Playing UY on my DS sure is fun, it is nice to see in
Japan they still appreciate the classics, APPRECIATE THEM!
The Wanderer
2006-02-12 16:12:14 UTC
Post by The Wanderer
...if that's an implicit threat, or even a warning, I'd ask you to
make it explicit.
If it isn't, what the Frank *do* you mean? And how do you manage to
*not* be insulting in the process? (Or do you actually intend insult?)
(For the record, I fully expect an "Ah ha ha I was only joking"
avoidance of the question.)
If I go the group dies, IT DIES! RAAM is nothing w/o the heart.

This is so ludicrous, there's no good even laughing at it. (Though see
below.)
Also you insulted me first
I don't remember having insulted you, as such. I expressed the same
attitude that I have a number of times in the past - I find you
tiresome, annoying, and *far* more noise than signal. If you honestly do
see that as an insult, then perhaps it will motivate you to change a
little. (If you don't think it's true, then obviously it won't motivate
you to change, but you could just as easily laugh it off in that case.
Which would also be annoying, but...)
and I really have no idea what in my response you could take offense
at.
Mostly the notion of "if you care at all about RAAM, you are required to
like Ethan Hammond", with the corollary that "if you do not like Ethan
Hammond, you do not care at all about RAAM".

This newsgroup is NOT ABOUT YOU. This is not alt.fan.ethan-hammond; if
you want to create that and invite people over there, please do, it
would improve the noise-to-signal ratio on this newsgroup by a not
inconsiderable factor. This newsgroup is about ANIME - and not just the
(what is it, three?) anime you like to blare endlessly about being
interested in.

There is no single person without whom this newsgroup would "die". If I
were nominating people who come close, the list would include people who
actually *contribute* to the newsgroup (or to its 'supporting
infrastructure', such as the FAQs) on anything like a regular basis. You
are not one of those people; you possibly could be, if you wanted to,
but so far you very definitely have not been. Your sole notable
contributions to the newsgroup are a certain kind of ambiance, which not
everyone finds desirable, and sheer posting volume - and quantity most
certainly is not quality.

Trying to claim that not merely the wellbeing but the entire continued
*existence* of the newsgroup as a viable going concern depends on you
alone is so arrogant and (something I don't have a word for on this
little sleep) that the only way I could avoid finding it offensive would
be to dismiss it as "meaningless and worthless simply because of the
fact that it comes from Ethan Hammond", which I'm quite certain you
would not like much more than I would.

The Eternal Lost Lurker
2006-02-12 20:14:34 UTC
Post by The Wanderer
Trying to claim that not merely the wellbeing but the entire continued
*existence* of the newsgroup as a viable going concern depends on you
alone is so arrogant and (something I don't have a word for on this
little sleep) that the only way I could avoid finding it offensive would
be to dismiss it as "meaningless and worthless simply because of the
fact that it comes from Ethan Hammond", which I'm quite certain you
would not like much more than I would.
Even though it's true?

Anything Ethan Hammond says is almost automatically worthless these days.
It's one of those facts of life, like death, taxes, and enjokosai.
www.lurkerdrome.com
sanjian
Damnit, why do I only get the second and (presumably) first?
S.t.A.n.L.e.E
2006-02-12 22:29:05 UTC
Post by The Wanderer
Trying to claim that not merely the wellbeing but the entire
continued *existence* of the newsgroup as a viable going concern
depends on you alone is so arrogant and (something I don't have a
word for on this little sleep) that the only way I could avoid
finding it offensive would be to dismiss it as "meaningless and
worthless simply because of the fact that it comes from Ethan
Hammond", which I'm quite certain you would not like much more than
I would.
Even though it's true?
Anything Ethan Hammond says is almost automatically worthless these
days. It's one of those facts of life, like death, taxes, and
enjokosai.
Damnit, why do I only get the second and (presumably) first?
You don't have what it takes! ^_^

Laters. =)

Stan
--
_______ ________ _______ ____ ___ ___ ______ ______
| __|__ __| _ | \ | | | | _____| _____|
| ( _| | http://www.uofr.net/~lostrune/
\ ______| _______ ____ ___
/ \ / \ | _ | \ | |
/ \/ \| _ | |\ |
/___/\/\___|__| |__|___| \ ___|
sanjian
A plane ticket to Japan?
S.t.A.n.L.e.E
2006-02-13 01:58:10 UTC
Post by sanjian
Post by The Wanderer
Trying to claim that not merely the wellbeing but the entire
continued *existence* of the newsgroup as a viable going concern
depends on you alone is so arrogant and (something I don't have a
word for on this little sleep) that the only way I could avoid
finding it offensive would be to dismiss it as "meaningless and
worthless simply because of the fact that it comes from Ethan
Hammond", which I'm quite certain you would not like much more than
I would.
Even though it's true?
Anything Ethan Hammond says is almost automatically worthless these
days. It's one of those facts of life, like death, taxes, and
enjokosai.
Damnit, why do I only get the second and (presumably) first?
You don't have what it takes! ^_^
A plane ticket to Japan?
That could be one of 'em, easily rectified. ;)

Laters. =)

Stan
--
_______ ________ _______ ____ ___ ___ ______ ______
| __|__ __| _ | \ | | | | _____| _____|
| ( _| | http://www.uofr.net/~lostrune/
\ ______| _______ ____ ___
/ \ / \ | _ | \ | |
/ \/ \| _ | |\ |
/___/\/\___|__| |__|___| \ ___|
sanjian
Not on a student's salary.
S.t.A.n.L.e.E
2006-02-13 04:45:11 UTC
Post by sanjian
Post by S.t.A.n.L.e.E
Post by sanjian
Post by S.t.A.n.L.e.E
Post by sanjian
Post by The Eternal Lost Lurker
Anything Ethan Hammond says is almost automatically worthless
these days. It's one of those facts of life, like death, taxes,
and enjokosai.
Damnit, why do I only get the second and (presumably) first?
You don't have what it takes! ^_^
A plane ticket to Japan?
That could be one of 'em, easily rectified. ;)
Not on a student's salary.
At least you get a salary then. ;-)

Lay off the coeds, don't buy so much anime, enjo kosai yourself.
Kenny..... American gigolo........ in Japan! (theatres near you)
Ya never know who might call in your area.

Laters. =)

STan
--
_______ ________ _______ ____ ___ ___ ______ ______
| __|__ __| _ | \ | | | | _____| _____|
| ( _| | http://www.uofr.net/~lostrune/
\ ______| _______ ____ ___
/ \ / \ | _ | \ | |
/ \/ \| _ | |\ |
/___/\/\___|__| |__|___| \ ___|
Ethan Hammond
2006-02-13 08:29:52 UTC
Post by S.t.A.n.L.e.E
Post by sanjian
Post by The Eternal Lost Lurker
Anything Ethan Hammond says is almost automatically worthless these
days. It's one of those facts of life, like death, taxes, and
enjokosai.
Damnit, why do I only get the second and (presumably) first?
You don't have what it takes! ^_^
What is enjokosai?
The Eternal Lost Lurker
2006-02-13 01:33:16 UTC
Post by sanjian
Post by The Eternal Lost Lurker
Anything Ethan Hammond says is almost automatically worthless these
days. It's one of those facts of life, like death, taxes, and
enjokosai.
Damnit, why do I only get the second and (presumably) first?
Because you're looking for enjokosai in all the wrong places?
www.lurkerdrome.com
sanjian
2006-02-13 03:12:15 UTC
Post by sanjian
Post by The Eternal Lost Lurker
Anything Ethan Hammond says is almost automatically worthless these
days. It's one of those facts of life, like death, taxes, and
enjokosai.
Damnit, why do I only get the second and (presumably) first?
Because you're looking for enjokosai in all the wrong places?
That could be it.

And now I've got the Buckwheat Sings version of that song stuck in my
head...

Wookin p'nub...
The Eternal Lost Lurker
2006-02-10 20:48:19 UTC
Post by Astrobiochemist
Doesn't Ethan work at Right Stuf? Did that change?
Yeah, several months ago. They got tired of the smell.
I wonder what the actual reason was. Firing an employee for a "smell"
is just asking for a lawsuit. Or, if ELL is correct, what the stated
reason for the firing was?
(Trying to walk fine line without insulting ELL and Ethan)
Only person you're insulting is yourself, bud.

BTW, I'm selling my beach house in Albuquerque. Interested?
www.lurkerdrome.com
Astrobiochemist
2006-02-10 20:55:59 UTC
Post by Astrobiochemist
(Trying to walk fine line without insulting ELL and Ethan)
Only person you're insulting is yourself, bud.
How am I insulting myself?
How far away is it from the shoreline? ;)
dbbrandell
2006-02-11 00:43:42 UTC
Post by Astrobiochemist
Doesn't Ethan work at Right Stuf? Did that change?
Yeah, several months ago. They got tired of the smell.
I wonder what the actual reason was. Firing an employee for a "smell"
is just asking for a lawsuit. Or, if ELL is correct, what the stated
reason for the firing was?
(Trying to walk fine line without insulting ELL and Ethan)
I believe they parted amicably - ie, no firing. Nowadays, I think
he works at a video game production company, helping get goodies out
the door for us to play.

DBB
Justin
And we all know how well game companies pay and treat their employees.
Ethan Hammond
2006-02-11 10:30:15 UTC
Post by Astrobiochemist
Doesn't Ethan work at Right Stuf? Did that change?
Yeah, several months ago. They got tired of the smell.
I wonder what the actual reason was. Firing an employee for a "smell"
is just asking for a lawsuit. Or, if ELL is correct, what the stated
reason for the firing was?
(Trying to walk fine line without insulting ELL and Ethan)
I believe they parted amicably - ie, no firing. Nowadays, I think
he works at a video game production company, helping get goodies out
the door for us to play.
It was there loss, THERE LOSS!
Justin
Where loss? Or do you mean their loss?
Ethan Hammond
2006-02-12 06:47:16 UTC
Post by Justin
Post by Ethan Hammond
It was there loss, THERE LOSS!
Where loss? Or do you mean their loss?
No, no over there! *POINTS*
Ethan Hammond
2006-02-11 10:25:23 UTC
Post by Astrobiochemist
Doesn't Ethan work at Right Stuf? Did that change?
Yeah, several months ago. They got tired of the smell.
At least I am qualified to work.
Post by Astrobiochemist
I wonder what the actual reason was. Firing an employee for a "smell"
is just asking for a lawsuit. Or, if ELL is correct, what the stated
reason for the firing was?
(Trying to walk fine line without insulting ELL and Ethan)
ELL dosen't know anything, ANYTHING!
Ethan Hammond
2006-02-11 10:37:40 UTC
Post by Astrobiochemist
Doesn't Ethan work at Right Stuf? Did that change?
In June, I was going to move to a new position that I
didn't really want to do for probably less money.
Also I decided I didn't want to live in Iowa for the
rest of my life so I moved back to Texas in July and
got a new job here. Basically I told the company
I was going to be in Texas for 3 days for a friends
wedding so if they wanted to interview me they had
to do it then. They called me like 2 hours or something
after my plane touched down and I had a job a week or
so later. I was actually pretty surprised about that because
I didn't assume anything would come of it especially by
being so cocky.

Things are going great at the new job, but this company
actually dosen't allow employees to talk about them on
the Internet. Right Stuf actually said I could talk about
them when I was first hired, because I asked. Also,
they never said I couldn't talk about anything. Shawne
is really cool, but some of the other people there, eh
not so much.

I really am more into new videogame stuff, Xbox 360
w00t, than new anime stuff anyway. A lot of new shows
are too dark and depressing. But then there is
Nuku Nuku and other shows that I love so very,
very much and some new stuff like Tenjho Tenge
which is pretty much the reason I get Ultra Jump
now since Bastard hasn't been in it for months,
MONTHS!

I really do think Best Buy is a better place to buy anime from
than TRSI though and I have worked for both companies.
Best Buy has better prices on new stuff, but they can't satisfy
that hentai fix.
Astrobiochemist
2006-02-11 15:13:59 UTC
Post by Ethan Hammond
Post by Astrobiochemist
[...]
Thanks, Ethan. It seemed a bit rude on my part to ask but it's always
good to hear when a person on the board is doing well. When I was
looking at your old posts to talk to ELL, I thought it might no have
been so amicable because you seemed upset at TRSI in a post in December
but I guess it was very a price issue :)
The Eternal Lost Lurker
2006-02-11 15:54:19 UTC
First, I'd like to apologise for top-posting. I have a reason to format my
post this way this one time, and I think you'll agree with me.

The following was, apparently, posted by Ethan Hammond, our resident 100:1
noise ratio, earlier today. This is not a typical Ethan post in any way,
shape, or form.

This is the first time I can recall seeing Ethan post like a normal, sane
person.
Post by Ethan Hammond
[...]
My advice to you, Ethan--and I'm not sure if you'll see this or not until
someone replies to this:

You know all the flack you're taking on this group? If you posted more like
you did just now, and less like you usually do? People on RAAM might
actually LIKE you and, y'know, not killfile you.

Just a thought.
www.lurkerdrome.com
Derek Janssen
2006-02-11 16:53:37 UTC
Post by The Eternal Lost Lurker
The following was, apparently, posted by Ethan Hammond, our resident 100:1
noise ratio, earlier today. This is not a typical Ethan post in any way,
shape, or form.
This is the first time I can recall seeing Ethan post like a normal, sane
person.
<snip>
Post by The Eternal Lost Lurker
My advice to you, Ethan--and I'm not sure if you'll see this or not until
You know all the flack you're taking on this group? If you posted more like
you did just now, and less like you usually do? People on RAAM might
actually LIKE you and, y'know, not killfile you.
It's as we pointed out earlier:
ELL may take slaps and occasional plonks because he gets bored easily,
misses his old days on the wrong side of the troll wars and whooping
with the Indians, and makes recreational snaps because he looks back at
his photo albums and misses the junior-high adrenaline of his "glory
days"...But at least he posts about anime.

NEW anime. As in, *as* far as knowing anime, he knows MORE than a set
personal rotation of six old, random, easily marketable references to
it, to dig up whenever he thinks he can connect them by six degrees of
separation, or to have used up two years ago.
Which is how he is occasionally tolerated as a jerk who Occasionally
Knows Something, rather than a jerk who Proved a While Ago That He
Really Doesn't Know That Much, Underneath a Tired Vaudeville Act.

If we are indeed "anime geeks", one must remember that a geek prizes
Knowledge above all else...
It's the REST of the Lost Generation who're impressed by the "hip"
stuff, which, in the end, is but false tinsel, and empty packaging of air.

Derek Janssen (in other words, Eth...you've always been expendable)
***@comcast.net
elsie
2006-02-11 17:04:54 UTC
Post by Derek Janssen
[...]
I would have to agree with both of you. The group needs more from Ethan than
knee-jerk Nuku Nuku. But I would also say that posts like these are more of
what we need from ELL and Derek Janssen as well.

laurie
Derek Janssen
2006-02-11 17:20:10 UTC
Post by elsie
Post by Derek Janssen
[...]
Or at least, as stated, *new* references:
If we post about a mecha show, it would be nice to hear something
BESIDES a Transformers joke, just because it worked on the old group
where we thought we were a trademark...
Or if, as has been recent occasion, somebody mentions UY, they should
not have the spectre of "Yeah, yeah, Eth, we know, 'you liked the weird
bathhouse episode', you TOLD us!--Did you by chance happen to see any
*other* episodes out of the two hundred, or was that it??" hanging over
our heads to stink up the potential conversation.

"Wearing out one's welcome" tends to be an expression nowadadys overused
into practical meaninglessness--But we know from our real-life
experiences, that there *ARE* times when it's better to just cut our
losses and sneak out of the party before we really do make that jackass
of ourselves...

Derek Janssen (a road from which there is no returning)
***@comcast.net
Ethan Hammond
2006-02-12 07:12:21 UTC
Post by elsie
Post by Derek Janssen
If we are indeed "anime geeks", one must remember that a geek prizes
Knowledge above all else...
It's the REST of the Lost Generation who're impressed by the "hip" stuff,
which, in the end, is but false tinsel, and empty packaging of air.
Yeah, but I don't need to prove my knowledge to you geeks, I worked
in the business and I tested out of three semesters of college Japanese.
I have what counts which is real life experience.
Post by elsie
Post by Derek Janssen
(in other words, Eth...you've always been expendable)
I would have to agree with both of you. The group needs more from Ethan
than knee-jerk Nuku Nuku.
I sure do love Nuku Nuku though, it will be hard, nay impossible,
IMPOSSIBLE!
If we post about a mecha show, it would be nice to hear something BESIDES
a Transformers joke, just because it worked on the old group where we
thought we were a trademark...
I started the shakes fist thing on raam and then moved it to att actually.
I posted on raam long before att and I am not sure why you seem to be
in denail about this.
Or if, as has been recent occasion, somebody mentions UY, they should not
have the spectre of "Yeah, yeah, Eth, we know, 'you liked the weird
bathhouse episode', you TOLD us!--Did you by chance happen to see any
*other* episodes out of the two hundred, or was that it??" hanging over
our heads to stink up the potential conversation.
That sure is a good episode though.
Derek Janssen (a road from which there is no returning)
Well if you are so great as you seem to claim, come up with something
better.
See I can be an @$$hole too and you are bringing it out in me tonight.
Derek Janssen
2006-02-11 17:35:14 UTC
Post by elsie
I would have to agree with both of you. The group needs more from Ethan than
knee-jerk Nuku Nuku.
I might also add that Ethan may not have been around during the '97-'99
birth-of-Gaza days, when every post had to have "Bubblegum Crisis" or
"Totoro" in it....Unless it was by "Eagle Bear", "Coco Washington", or
any other of Tony's Beloved Wacky Characters.
(Yeah, I'm a hundred years old on this group, so what?) :)

In other words, Eth--If you were just bouncing over from your
King-of-alt.transformers days back at the beginning, hoping to impress
us with Wacky Anonymous Postmodern Gen-Y Usenet Anarchy, well....hate to
break it to you, BUT:
We already *HAD* our fling with "wacky" self-marketing unkillable
Net-pests back in our younger days. And it didn't end happily. It's
old stuff to us.

Now, we're just bitter and cynical about wet-behind-the-ears
Swim-watching young-uns who want to Make Their Mark on the wild and
woolly Usenet, and slap 'em down, tell 'em to get a job and a haircut,
and start posting about content like their elders.
Old and crotchety, maybe, but that's what a few bad experiences can do
to you down the road. ^_^

Derek Janssen (and we LIKE it that way, goldarnit!)
***@comcast.net
elsie
2006-02-11 18:39:15 UTC
Now, we're just bitter and cynical about wet-behind-the-ears Swim-watching
young-uns who want to Make Their Mark on the wild and woolly Usenet, and
slap 'em down, tell 'em to get a job and a haircut, and start posting
about content like their elders.
Old and crotchety, maybe, but that's what a few bad experiences can do to
you down the road. ^_^
Derek Janssen (and we LIKE it that way, goldarnit!)
I think this is the main thing about raam as compared to various web fora.
The majority of us are well over our college years, and I'd guess that many
of the prolific posters are well over 30 years old, if not 40, as well. We
tend to lack patience with the young and/or immature. You gotta grow up if
you want to hang with us without being flamed.

laurie
Derek Janssen
2006-02-11 19:48:14 UTC
Post by elsie
Now, we're just bitter and cynical about wet-behind-the-ears Swim-watching
young-uns who want to Make Their Mark on the wild and woolly Usenet, and
slap 'em down, tell 'em to get a job and a haircut, and start posting
about content like their elders.
Old and crotchety, maybe, but that's what a few bad experiences can do to
you down the road. ^_^
(and we LIKE it that way, goldarnit!)
I think this is the main thing about raam as compared to various web fora.
The majority of us are well over our college years, and I'd guess that many
of the prolific posters are well over 30 years old, if not 40, as well. We
tend to lack patience with the young and/or immature. You gotta grow up if
you want to hang with us without being flamed.
Well, some of the "old codgers" date back to the old trading days of raw
tapes and Xeroxed synopses at the college-campus clubs (can vouch for
Neil Nadelman, since he used to show up at our group)...Back when we had
to figure this all out by ourselves, since there was no one else on this
continent who even knew what we were talking about, or else made the
same old tired Pokemon/Sailor Moon jokes--
While most of the new kids, who grew up after sub-dub DVD and
cable-broadcast, immediately associate Bebop or FMA with Cartoon
Network, as if they were two parts of the artistic-lifestyle
whole...And, as Ethan (and Antonio) repeatedly demonstrates, Adult Swim
at that--Find one new-generation kid nowadays who doesn't use FMA and
Futurama in the same sentence.

Historical point I was making though, is that our dear Tony of older
days has earned his nickname as "the Polio Vaccine of Trolldom", and you
can tell when he's been on a group, even years after he's left--
The group just suddenly seems to be THAT much more weary of Cute
Rehearsed Stuff, and finds actual spontaneous discussions of topic from
their own proven members that much more lively.

Derek Janssen (sorry, Eth, cutesy panderers aside, you got the ultimate
Tough Crowd)
***@comcast.net
Captain Nerd
2006-02-11 20:24:07 UTC
Post by Derek Janssen
Post by elsie
[...]
And if you still want to avoid being slammed/insulted/flamed, you
need to only post on the topics the old-timers like. Between Lurker
slamming most newbies as "stupid" and Dave Baranyi slamming 90% of new
anime, it's hard for a newbie to find any "traction" here. There is
very little space here for the social lubrication that is small talk,
and very little incentive for new posters to contribute if they don't
like Full Metal Alchemist, let's say. (yes, strange to say, there are
such people out there) Someone, for instance, who really likes "Solty
Rei" ( ^======^ ), would find either silence or reviews which make
them feel stupid for not having standards which are "high enough" to
be respected.

If I was of a mind to, I'd propose a group just for new anime fans,
where they could get their feet wet, so to speak, without pissing off
the old farts. But then a "misc" group is supposed to be for
"miscellaneous" posts, which in most misc groups includes the random
and off-topic posts, so I don't think it's worth it. Plus I doubt it
would get the votes. Usenet as a whole is aging and becoming far
less accomodating of newbies.
Post by Derek Janssen
Derek Janssen (sorry, Eth, cutesy panderers aside, you got the ultimate
Tough Crowd)
Don't I know it! Some of my best material gets blown away in the
silence like a popcorn poot in a tornado...

Cap.
--
Since 1989, recycling old jokes, cliches, and bad puns, one Usenet
post at a time!
Only email with "TO_CAP" somewhere in the subject has a chance of being read
Derek Janssen
2006-02-11 20:46:11 UTC
Post by Captain Nerd
Post by Derek Janssen
Post by elsie
[...]
(Eh, he's just in it for the adrenaline rush--
Y'know, the highs get shorter and the lows get lower...)
Post by Captain Nerd
and Dave Baranyi slamming 90% of new
anime, it's hard for a newbie to find any "traction" here. There is
very little space here for the social lubrication that is small talk,
and very little incentive for new posters to contribute if they don't
like Full Metal Alchemist, let's say. (yes, strange to say, there are
such people out there)
Well, same here, but then, I haven't rented it yet--
Like I said, most of the discussion tends to be over What We've Seen,
and for most of the demographic, that usually ends up being Whatever CN
Happens to Be Airing This Month.
Post by Captain Nerd
Someone, for instance, who really likes "Solty
Rei" ( ^======^ ), would find either silence or reviews which make
them feel stupid for not having standards which are "high enough" to
be respected.
Or, that most of the "new stuff on Japanese channels" that occasionally
gets reviewed from the "in" people gets, "Um... 0_0 " from the group,
since most aren't into BT'ing the subs yet and it hasn't been licensed--
Radio silence isn't *always* indicative of a bad thing, just that the
topic hasn't taken hold yet.
Post by Captain Nerd
But then a "misc" group is supposed to be for
"miscellaneous" posts, which in most misc groups includes the random
and off-topic posts, so I don't think it's worth it.
Actually, the "misc" was to distinguish the fact that the ever-expanding
"rec.arts.anime" was broken up in '99 to make way for r.a.a.marketplace,
r.a.a.fanfic, r.a.a.music, etc., and we were what r.a.a. was "supposed"
to be under the AT&T-breakup, ie. the anime thread-discussion group
without a niche sub-hobby--
Sorry, Antonio, you don't get to use THAT loophole. ;)
Post by Captain Nerd
Usenet as a whole is aging and becoming far
less accomodating of newbies.
The high-school and college trolls used to dream that Usenet was a "free
form of expressive anarchy" on the Net, way back in the 90's, when it
was invented--
And, like all pop trends, "old-school" trolling fell out of favor when
the 12-yo.'s started liking it. (Just look what happened to Pokemon!) ;)

Nowadays, the entire Usenet-scape has Balkanized across the canyon into
those who love their topic, and the ultra-niche rec.sports.pro-wrestling
"soldiers" who carved out their own isolated kingdoms and believe
they're Upholding a Counter-Culture Way of Life by career cross-trolling
once in a while...
Doesn't seem to be any room anymore for the Itinerant Part-time Idiot to
find any foothold, in these less innocent days.

Derek Janssen
***@comcast.net
Captain Nerd
2006-02-12 00:20:57 UTC
Post by Derek Janssen
Post by Captain Nerd
Post by Derek Janssen
Post by elsie
[...]
Well he exceeded my tolerance quite some time ago.
Post by Derek Janssen
Post by Captain Nerd
Usenet as a whole is aging and becoming far
less accomodating of newbies.
The high-school and college trolls used to dream that Usenet was a "free
form of expressive anarchy" on the Net, way back in the 90's, when it
was invented--
And, like all pop trends, "old-school" trolling fell out of favor when
the 12-yo.'s started liking it. (Just look what happened to Pokemon!) ;)
I'm not talking about "trolling for newbies," I'm talking about
making newbies feel welcome, at least welcome enough to feel like
participating.

Cap.
Ethan Hammond
2006-02-12 06:43:35 UTC
Post by Captain Nerd
Post by Derek Janssen
(Eh, he's just in it for the adrenaline rush--
Y'know, the highs get shorter and the lows get lower...)
Well he exceeded my tolerance quite some time ago.
I could take Derek seriously if he didn't go out of his way
to come up with excuses for ELL's behavior. But apparently
treating people like Derek is part of Derek's SOP as long as
you suck on the FMA teet!
S.t.A.n.L.e.E
2006-02-12 04:34:38 UTC
Post by Derek Janssen
Post by Captain Nerd
and Dave Baranyi slamming 90% of new
anime, it's hard for a newbie to find any "traction" here. There is
very little space here for the social lubrication that is small talk,
and very little incentive for new posters to contribute if they don't
like Full Metal Alchemist, let's say. (yes, strange to say, there are
such people out there)
Well, same here, but then, I haven't rented it yet--
Like I said, most of the discussion tends to be over What We've Seen,
and for most of the demographic, that usually ends up being Whatever CN
Happens to Be Airing This Month.
Well, we used to talk about new video releases too,
but that was when there were only a handful of releases,
so there's a good chance that many people got the same videos.

And by "releases," I mean both commercial and fansub VHS.
Post by Derek Janssen
Post by Captain Nerd
Someone, for instance, who really likes "Solty
Rei" ( ^======^ ), would find either silence or reviews which make
them feel stupid for not having standards which are "high enough" to
be respected.
Or, that most of the "new stuff on Japanese channels" that occasionally
gets reviewed from the "in" people gets, "Um... 0_0 " from the group,
since most aren't into BT'ing the subs yet and it hasn't been licensed--
Radio silence isn't *always* indicative of a bad thing, just that the
topic hasn't taken hold yet.
There are just too many releases that discussions get diffused.
The same people could watch 10 different titles in a week,
and yet, only a few of those can be shared by only a handful of them.
Furthermore, they are too busy watching the next show, just to keep up
with their viewing schedules, to be bothered to discuss the previous show.

Laters. =)

Stan
--
_______ ________ _______ ____ ___ ___ ______ ______
| __|__ __| _ | \ | | | | _____| _____|
| ( _| | http://www.uofr.net/~lostrune/
\ ______| _______ ____ ___
/ \ / \ | _ | \ | |
/ \/ \| _ | |\ |
/___/\/\___|__| |__|___| \ ___|
Farix
2006-02-12 00:33:58 UTC
Post by Captain Nerd
[...]
The problem with little "new blood" in RAAM has nothing to do with
either ELL or Derek. It lays more with them going to web forums instead
or simply not knowing that Usenet exists.

At one time RAA and latter RAAM use to be the center of online anime
fandom. But now, we are like the old tourists traps that suddenly
discovered that the highway has moved away from them.

Farix

S.t.A.n.L.e.E
2006-02-12 04:37:15 UTC
Post by Farix
Post by Captain Nerd
[...]
Yeah, you knew something made it big
when it was discussed on r.a.a.* ^_^

Laters. =)

STan
--
_______ ________ _______ ____ ___ ___ ______ ______
| __|__ __| _ | \ | | | | _____| _____|
| ( _| | http://www.uofr.net/~lostrune/
\ ______| _______ ____ ___
/ \ / \ | _ | \ | |
/ \/ \| _ | |\ |
/___/\/\___|__| |__|___| \ ___|
Ethan Hammond
2006-02-12 06:40:25 UTC
Post by Captain Nerd
And if you still want to avoid being slammed/insulted/flamed, you
need to only post on the topics the old-timers like. Between Lurker
slamming most newbies as "stupid" and Dave Baranyi slamming 90% of new
anime, it's hard for a newbie to find any "traction" here.
Thats right, we really can't get any new people here and it has been
that way for awhile. And now they think they have the chance to drive
me off, then they will decide they don't like what somewhat else is
doing and do the same thing to them until it is only Derek playing
moderator and ELL playing a jerk by themselves.
Ethan Hammond
2006-02-12 06:38:57 UTC
Post by Derek Janssen
While most of the new kids, who grew up after sub-dub DVD and
cable-broadcast, immediately associate Bebop or FMA with Cartoon
Network, as if they were two parts of the artistic-lifestyle
whole...And, as Ethan (and Antonio) repeatedly demonstrates, Adult Swim
at that--Find one new-generation kid nowadays who doesn't use FMA and
Futurama in the same sentence.
Yep because god knows I was never watcing anime before DVD.
Certainly not when I was 4 years old in Japan.
Post by Derek Janssen
Derek Janssen (sorry, Eth, cutesy panderers aside, you got the ultimate
Tough Crowd)
It sure is easy to say I contribute nothing to the group, but what have
you done for raam lately, tough guy.
Ethan Hammond
2006-02-12 06:41:04 UTC
Post by Derek Janssen
Derek Janssen (sorry, Eth, cutesy panderers aside, you got the ultimate
Tough Crowd)
Also do you have some king of disease where you can't write my
full name Der? I mean is it really that much more difficult to type
two more letters.
sanjian
2006-02-11 20:02:18 UTC
Post by elsie
Post by Derek Janssen
Now, we're just bitter and cynical about wet-behind-the-ears
Swim-watching young-uns who want to Make Their Mark on the wild and
woolly Usenet, and slap 'em down, tell 'em to get a job and a
haircut, and start posting about content like their elders.
Old and crotchety, maybe, but that's what a few bad experiences can
do to you down the road. ^_^
Derek Janssen (and we LIKE it that way, goldarnit!)
I think this is the main thing about raam as compared to various web
fora. The majority of us are well over our college years, and I'd
And even some of us who are still in college are past our college years.
^_^
S.t.A.n.L.e.E
2006-02-12 04:16:58 UTC
Post by elsie
Now, we're just bitter and cynical about wet-behind-the-ears Swim-watching
young-uns who want to Make Their Mark on the wild and woolly Usenet, and
slap 'em down, tell 'em to get a job and a haircut, and start posting
about content like their elders.
Old and crotchety, maybe, but that's what a few bad experiences can do to
you down the road. ^_^
Derek Janssen (and we LIKE it that way, goldarnit!)
I think this is the main thing about raam as compared to various web fora.
The majority of us are well over our college years, and I'd guess that many
Heh, though it used to be that way though,
back when many people's first foray into the internet
(or at least, broadband net that makes it worthwhile)
was thru their college accounts.
One could notice the traffic flow of the group
based on the college semesters. ^_^

It's just that usenet in general became a generational thing (Gex X).

Laters. =)

Stan
--
_______ ________ _______ ____ ___ ___ ______ ______
| __|__ __| _ | \ | | | | _____| _____|
| ( _| | http://www.uofr.net/~lostrune/
\ ______| _______ ____ ___
/ \ / \ | _ | \ | |
/ \/ \| _ | |\ |
/___/\/\___|__| |__|___| \ ___|
Ethan Hammond
2006-02-12 06:36:44 UTC
Post by Derek Janssen
Post by elsie
I would have to agree with both of you. The group needs more from Ethan
than knee-jerk Nuku Nuku.
I might also add that Ethan may not have been around during the '97-'99
birth-of-Gaza days, when every post had to have "Bubblegum Crisis" or
"Totoro" in it....Unless it was by "Eagle Bear", "Coco Washington", or any
other of Tony's Beloved Wacky Characters.
(Yeah, I'm a hundred years old on this group, so what?) :)
I have been posting to raam since April 1997 from the same
email address. Obviously you are getting alzheimers in your
old age.
Post by Derek Janssen
In other words, Eth--If you were just bouncing over from your
King-of-alt.transformers days back at the beginning, hoping to impress us
with Wacky Anonymous Postmodern Gen-Y Usenet Anarchy, well....hate to
We already *HAD* our fling with "wacky" self-marketing unkillable
Net-pests back in our younger days. And it didn't end happily. It's old
stuff to us.
I started posting to att long, long after I had first started postiung to
raam.
No really, do you know anything, I mean anything at all? You seem to think
you have all the answers, but all your facts are wrong. Do better.
Ethan Hammond
2006-02-12 06:34:21 UTC
Post by elsie
Post by Derek Janssen
If we are indeed "anime geeks", one must remember that a geek prizes
Knowledge above all else...
It's the REST of the Lost Generation who're impressed by the "hip" stuff,
which, in the end, is but false tinsel, and empty packaging of air.
Derek Janssen (in other words, Eth...you've always been expendable)
I would have to agree with both of you. The group needs more from Ethan
than knee-jerk Nuku Nuku. But I would also say that posts like these are
more of what we need from ELL and Derek Janssen as well.
Pretty much, but it is a lot easier for them to gang up when one person
starts taking flack than to actually realize there own flaws. They are
both incredibly far from perfect posters.
Ethan Hammond
2006-02-12 07:02:09 UTC
Post by Derek Janssen
Post by The Eternal Lost Lurker
My advice to you, Ethan--and I'm not sure if you'll see this or not until
You know all the flack you're taking on this group? If you posted more like
you did just now, and less like you usually do? People on RAAM might
actually LIKE you and, y'know, not killfile you.
As if you have any room to talk about killfiles.
Post by Derek Janssen
ELL may take slaps and occasional plonks because he gets bored easily,
misses his old days on the wrong side of the troll wars and whooping with
the Indians, and makes recreational snaps because he looks back at his
photo albums and misses the junior-high adrenaline of his "glory
days"...But at least he posts about anime.
This is the most pathetic rationalization ever. Hey guys it is okay to
treat
people like dirt because every once in awhile he posts about anime, but it
is not okay for Ethan to joke around even though he occasonal posts about
anime because big shot Derek has a vendetta against me.
Post by Derek Janssen
NEW anime. As in, *as* far as knowing anime, he knows MORE than a set
personal rotation of six old, random, easily marketable references to it,
to dig up whenever he thinks he can connect them by six degrees of
separation, or to have used up two years ago.
Which is how he is occasionally tolerated as a jerk who Occasionally Knows
Something, rather than a jerk who Proved a While Ago That He Really
Doesn't Know That Much, Underneath a Tired Vaudeville Act.
Heh, believe me Derek, I don't have to prove anything to the likes of you.
Nothing that happens on raam really matters and ELL knows that, which
is why he treats people here the way he does, it is not because of whatever
noble rationalization you come up w/ for him. Nor do I have any desire to
try and prove myself to you. Oh wow I proved myself to Derek now let
me reap the great rewards that come w/ such an accomplishment. There
really isn't that much new anime I care about. Nanoha hasn't been licensed,
but the fansub was pretty cool. Tenjho Tenge and SAC/2nd Gig are really
all I care about.

Also I really do have special feelings for Nuku Nuku so you should
rationalize
that and say it is okay for Ethan because he posts about anime and how much
he likes Nuku Nuku which he really does. Come on, I have seen you
rationalize
before, I know you can do it again if you put your mind to it. I believe in
you
Derek.
Post by Derek Janssen
If we are indeed "anime geeks", one must remember that a geek prizes
Knowledge above all else...
It's the REST of the Lost Generation who're impressed by the "hip" stuff,
which, in the end, is but false tinsel, and empty packaging of air.
Derek Janssen (in other words, Eth...you've always been expendable)
That's fine, I am honestly more concerned about what is going on IRL than
usenet. You guys aren't going to do anything for me like get me a promotion
or more money. Unless you want to pay me not to post about Nuku Nuku,
do you, DO YOU?

And actually you know how long I have been posting here, because you used
to send me your stupid don't reply to this person they are a troll emails
back
in 1998.
Ethan Hammond
2006-02-12 07:05:05 UTC
Post by Astrobiochemist
Post by Ethan Hammond
Post by Astrobiochemist
Doesn't Ethan work at Right Stuf? Did that change?
I really do think Best Buy is a better place to buy anime from
than TRSI though and I have worked for both companies.
Best Buy has better prices on new stuff, but they can't satisfy
that hentai fix.
Thanks, Ethan. It seemed a bit rude on my part to ask but it's always
good to hear when a person on the board is doing well. When I was
looking at your old posts to talk to ELL, I thought it might no have
been so amicable because you seemed upset at TRSI in a post in December
but I guess it was very a price issue :)
December 2006 or December 2005? I mean TRSI is never getting any of
my money again, that is true.
Astrobiochemist
2006-02-12 14:44:49 UTC
Post by Ethan Hammond
Post by Astrobiochemist
Post by Ethan Hammond
Post by Astrobiochemist
Doesn't Ethan work at Right Stuf? Did that change?
I really do think Best Buy is a better place to buy anime from
than TRSI though and I have worked for both companies.
Best Buy has better prices on new stuff, but they can't satisfy
that hentai fix.
Thanks, Ethan. It seemed a bit rude on my part to ask but it's always
good to hear when a person on the board is doing well. When I was
looking at your old posts to talk to ELL, I thought it might no have
been so amicable because you seemed upset at TRSI in a post in December
but I guess it was very a price issue :)
December 2006 or December 2005? I mean TRSI is never getting any of
my money again, that is true.
December 2005. My time machine still needs some work. It only seems
to travel to the year 2166 and by then, Daleks have taken over so it
makes traveling somewhat pointless. :)
Ethan Hammond
2006-02-13 09:08:33 UTC
Post by Astrobiochemist
Post by Ethan Hammond
December 2006 or December 2005? I mean TRSI is never getting any of
my money again, that is true.
December 2005. My time machine still needs some work. It only seems
to travel to the year 2166 and by then, Daleks have taken over so it
makes traveling somewhat pointless. :)
I got hired by them in December 2005 so I dunno why it would seem like
I was upset w/ them.
Justin
You mean the complete lack of content to any of his posts?
sanjian
2006-02-08 19:30:01 UTC
Post by Justin
Post by sanjian
Post by Ethan Hammond
I am pretty sure there will be an Empress Natsume Atsuko!
Dear Urd, Ethan, don't you ever quit?
I'm starting to see why others have killfiled you. It's not because
you're a troll or because you're offensive... but because they just
get tired of your game.
You mean the complete lack of content to any of his posts?
It's not just the lack of content. It's the same damn unfunny jokes every
fucking time. It's way past old. He can post whatever he pleases, of
course, but I'm starting to think that it would be easier on my blood
pressure if he did it without my reading.
Justin
I post with no content! NO CONTENT! *Waves contentless fist*!
Ethan Hammond
2006-02-09 08:58:46 UTC
Post by Justin
Post by sanjian
It's not just the lack of content. It's the same damn unfunny jokes every
fucking time. It's way past old. He can post whatever he pleases, of
course, but I'm starting to think that it would be easier on my blood
pressure if he did it without my reading.
I post with no content! NO CONTENT! *Waves contentless fist*!
ROTFLMAO AO! That was a good one Justin..
Ethan Hammond
2006-02-09 08:57:21 UTC
Post by sanjian
Post by Justin
Post by sanjian
Post by Ethan Hammond
I am pretty sure there will be an Empress Natsume Atsuko!
Dear Urd, Ethan, don't you ever quit?
I'm starting to see why others have killfiled you. It's not because
you're a troll or because you're offensive... but because they just
get tired of your game.
You mean the complete lack of content to any of his posts?
It's not just the lack of content. It's the same damn unfunny jokes every
fucking time. It's way past old. He can post whatever he pleases, of
course, but I'm starting to think that it would be easier on my blood
pressure if he did it without my reading.
You should probably get some pills too and change your diet,
can't blame all your health failings on me!
S.t.A.n.L.e.E
2006-02-08 18:19:37 UTC
Post by sanjian
Post by Ethan Hammond
I am pretty sure there will be an Empress Natsume Atsuko!
Dear Urd, Ethan, don't you ever quit?
I'm starting to see why others have killfiled you. It's not because you're
a troll or because you're offensive... but because they just get tired of
your game.
Nah, he's going for longetivity. ;-)
At one time or another, others like Enrique Conty, Louis Patterson,
Arnold Kim, et. al. had held the status of "top monthly poster,"
but time has given them ups and downs.
Echan is trying to keep it high as long as possible.

Laters. =)

Stan
--
_______ ________ _______ ____ ___ ___ ______ ______
| __|__ __| _ | \ | | | | _____| _____|
| ( _| | http://www.uofr.net/~lostrune/
\ ______| _______ ____ ___
/ \ / \ | _ | \ | |
/ \/ \| _ | |\ |
/___/\/\___|__| |__|___| \ ___|
sanjian
Yes, but usually, they had something to say.
Ethan Hammond
2006-02-09 09:02:39 UTC
Post by S.t.A.n.L.e.E
Nah, he's going for longetivity. ;-)
At one time or another, others like Enrique Conty, Louis Patterson,
Arnold Kim, et. al. had held the status of "top monthly poster,"
but time has given them ups and downs.
Echan is trying to keep it high as long as possible.
It is true! That and this group seems to be down to me and FMA
posts. I dunno what is gonna happen once that show stops airing
on Cartoon Network. But I guess it is easier for people to complain
than to post about anime. Or else they are getting bored of FMA
so they want to complain. I can't get into that show at all.
Ethan Hammond
2006-02-09 09:07:33 UTC
Oh I forgot one we have me, FMA, and the webcomic
posts that are generally not related to anime, but no one
ever complains about. If he can do his webcomic thing
I can do my Nuku Nuku thing. I post here to relax
and unwind. You guys need to calm down. It is not
hurting your enjoyment of FMA or webcomic posts
to read about my beloved Nuku Nuku, especially
since I have been here since 1997 and you should be
used to it by now and expect, nay I say you should
demand it of me, DEMAND IT!
Ethan Hammond
2006-02-09 09:14:15 UTC
Also I really do have 2 Nuku Nuku wall scrolls and
2 posters on the wall in my room! There are people
on raam who have been there and can confirm it.
What ya gonna do what ya gonna do when the catgirl
runs wild on you! All you have done is made my blood
boil sanjian we will settle this on PPV in the steel cage
and what not!
sanjian
2006-02-09 12:41:12 UTC
Post by Ethan Hammond
Also I really do have 2 Nuku Nuku wall scrolls and
2 posters on the wall in my room! There are people
on raam who have been there and can confirm it.
What ya gonna do what ya gonna do when the catgirl
runs wild on you! All you have done is made my blood
boil sanjian we will settle this on PPV in the steel cage
and what not!
Oh, shut the fuck up. You haven't been amusing in years. You can take your
steel cage and ram it up your ass for all I care. At least that would be
something new.
The Eternal Lost Lurker
2006-02-09 14:01:27 UTC
Post by sanjian
Post by Ethan Hammond
Also I really do have 2 Nuku Nuku wall scrolls and
2 posters on the wall in my room! There are people
on raam who have been there and can confirm it.
What ya gonna do what ya gonna do when the catgirl
runs wild on you! All you have done is made my blood
boil sanjian we will settle this on PPV in the steel cage
and what not!
Oh, shut the fuck up. You haven't been amusing in years. You can take your
steel cage and ram it up your ass for all I care. At least that would be
something new.
AMEN.

When is Ethan going to realise that nobody here CARES about his obsession
with a fictional android catgirl, and that his annoying puroresu/Hibiki
Dan/whatever else obnoxious drivel manner of expressing himself is nothing
but a public nuisance.

100 years ago, he'd have been shot in the street for acting like he does.
www.lurkerdrome.com
Ethan Hammond
2006-02-10 10:09:36 UTC
Post by sanjian
Post by Ethan Hammond
Also I really do have 2 Nuku Nuku wall scrolls and
2 posters on the wall in my room! There are people
on raam who have been there and can confirm it.
What ya gonna do what ya gonna do when the catgirl
runs wild on you! All you have done is made my blood
boil sanjian we will settle this on PPV in the steel cage
and what not!
Oh, shut the fuck up. You haven't been amusing in years. You can take
your steel cage and ram it up your ass for all I care. At least that
would be something new.
What you need is sweet, sweet lythium salt, it calms the nerves,
CALMS THEM! Either that or a catgirl.
sanjian
2006-02-10 12:45:25 UTC
Post by Ethan Hammond
Post by sanjian
Post by Ethan Hammond
Also I really do have 2 Nuku Nuku wall scrolls and
2 posters on the wall in my room! There are people
on raam who have been there and can confirm it.
What ya gonna do what ya gonna do when the catgirl
runs wild on you! All you have done is made my blood
boil sanjian we will settle this on PPV in the steel cage
and what not!
Oh, shut the fuck up. You haven't been amusing in years. You can
take your steel cage and ram it up your ass for all I care. At
least that would be something new.
What you need is sweet, sweet lythium salt, it calms the nerves,
CALMS THEM! Either that or a catgirl.
Or I just need to make you go away. I think you may be the first person to
actually make it onto my killfile. I generally don't like the idea of using
one, especially when the poster sometimes has things of interest to say, but
it's becoming increasingly clear that I don't have to worry about that with
you. Maybe by the time I format my hard drive again, and my killfile goes
away, you'll have pulled your head out of your ass.
The Eternal Lost Lurker
2006-02-10 14:20:03 UTC
A lot of completely incomprehensible and pointless bullshit, to which
Post by sanjian
Or I just need to make you go away. I think you may be the first person to
actually make it onto my killfile. I generally don't like the idea of using
one, especially when the poster sometimes has things of interest to say, but
it's becoming increasingly clear that I don't have to worry about that with
you. Maybe by the time I format my hard drive again, and my killfile goes
away, you'll have pulled your head out of your ass.
Don't hold your breath on that...we've been waiting for that to happen for
at least five years...
www.lurkerdrome.com
Ethan Hammond
2006-02-11 10:40:42 UTC
Post by sanjian
Post by Ethan Hammond
What you need is sweet, sweet lythium salt, it calms the nerves,
CALMS THEM! Either that or a catgirl.
Or I just need to make you go away. I think you may be the first person
to actually make it onto my killfile. I generally don't like the idea of
using one, especially when the poster sometimes has things of interest to
say, but it's becoming increasingly clear that I don't have to worry about
that with you. Maybe by the time I format my hard drive again, and my
killfile goes away, you'll have pulled your head out of your ass.
Do what you want, DO IT!
Justin
So, you're being a prick on purpose.
Ethan Hammond
2006-02-11 10:38:54 UTC
Post by Justin
Post by Ethan Hammond
What you need is sweet, sweet lythium salt, it calms the nerves,
CALMS THEM! Either that or a catgirl.
So, you're being a prick on purpose.
So that makes us brothers, BROTHERS!
Justin
2006-02-10 16:52:23 UTC
Post by Ethan Hammond
Post by S.t.A.n.L.e.E
Nah, he's going for longetivity. ;-)
At one time or another, others like Enrique Conty, Louis Patterson,
Arnold Kim, et. al. had held the status of "top monthly poster,"
but time has given them ups and downs.
Echan is trying to keep it high as long as possible.
It is true! That and this group seems to be down to me and FMA
posts. I dunno what is gonna happen once that show stops airing
on Cartoon Network. But I guess it is easier for people to complain
than to post about anime. Or else they are getting bored of FMA
so they want to complain. I can't get into that show at all.
At least FMA is on topic. of course, you're wrong about it being the
only topic of discussion.
Ethan Hammond
2006-02-11 10:39:26 UTC
Post by Justin
Post by Ethan Hammond
It is true! That and this group seems to be down to me and FMA
posts. I dunno what is gonna happen once that show stops airing
on Cartoon Network. But I guess it is easier for people to complain
than to post about anime. Or else they are getting bored of FMA
so they want to complain. I can't get into that show at all.
At least FMA is on topic. of course, you're wrong about it being the
only topic of discussion.
Did you not see how I listed the webcomics and my posts, so there
are three things of discussion!
elsie
2006-02-11 14:31:17 UTC
Post by Ethan Hammond
Post by Justin
Post by Ethan Hammond
It is true! That and this group seems to be down to me and FMA
posts. I dunno what is gonna happen once that show stops airing
on Cartoon Network. But I guess it is easier for people to complain
than to post about anime. Or else they are getting bored of FMA
so they want to complain. I can't get into that show at all.
At least FMA is on topic. of course, you're wrong about it being the
only topic of discussion.
Did you not see how I listed the webcomics and my posts, so there
are three things of discussion!
Galen and Dave are also announcing/reviewing the latest new shows to air in
Japan.

And I wouldn't have thought I'd say this, but your schtick is getting old to
me, too. Too much of the usual Ethan patter and no substance.

laurie
Galen Musbach
2006-02-11 18:18:16 UTC
Post by elsie
Galen and Dave are also announcing/reviewing the latest new shows to air in
Japan.
Actually, I've been reviewing older shows recently released on DVD.

But I can take a stab at it:

New Show:
PreCure Splash Star!
Remember PreCure? It's been remade to be more US market
friendly, using energy attacks instead of physically pummeling
the bad guys, and an ecology message instead of the
zoroastrian duality.

Coming Soon:
More Fushigiboshi no Futago Hime Gyu!
(not yet airing)
Rein and Fine are sent to another planet to attend school.

Kage Kara Mamoru --
For 400 years, the Ninja have been guarding a particular
family against all possible harm; as a result, that family has
degenerated to complete helplessness. What a diabolical
way of destroying them!

Magikano --
Our hero has been guarded against all possible harm by
his infatuated younger sister, causing him to degenerate
to a nebbish. Our heroine is actually evil and totally selfish,
but that's a good thing in this case. Can she rescue him
from all the people who want to protect him into
becoming a flower, and make his life a living hell?

Puchimon Volume 6:
Okay, it's a manga, still:
It's the Athletic Festival at Questor Academy, and the main
event is gladitorial combat. Melty is chosen to represent her
class; can she keep her sword up to the climax? Story Arc
does not conclude in this volume.

KamiChu volume 6:
Arrived today. Haven't watched it yet.

Goldfish Warning
Older series, only recently being fansubbed.
The teacher asks his students what they want to be when
they grow up, and Wapiko wants to be a penguin and
deliver letters to people. There's probably a pun in there.
In any event Penguin Suit Wapiko did it long before
Penguin Chiyo. Who was the first cute girl to put on
a penguin suit?

-Galen
Derek Janssen
2006-02-11 18:29:17 UTC
Post by Galen Musbach
Goldfish Warning
Older series, only recently being fansubbed.
The teacher asks his students what they want to be when
they grow up, and Wapiko wants to be a penguin and
deliver letters to people. There's probably a pun in there.
Judging from a similar joke in "UY1:Only You", I'm guessing there is--
Was a penguin ever used as an advertising mascot for the Japan mail
(like our Mr. Zip of older days)?
Post by Galen Musbach
In any event Penguin Suit Wapiko did it long before
Penguin Chiyo.
...But Penguin Chiyo was so *cute*! ^_^
<pushes her over>

Derek Janssen
***@comcast.net
Ethan Hammond
2006-02-12 06:29:38 UTC
Post by elsie
Galen and Dave are also announcing/reviewing the latest new shows to air
in Japan.
And I wouldn't have thought I'd say this, but your schtick is getting old
to me, too. Too much of the usual Ethan patter and no substance.
Well you crazy kids complaining sure is getting old to me.
The Wanderer
2006-02-08 22:04:23 UTC
Post by sanjian
Post by Ethan Hammond
I am pretty sure there will be an Empress Natsume Atsuko!
Dear Urd, Ethan, don't you ever quit?
I'm starting to see why others have killfiled you. It's not because
you're a troll or because you're offensive... but because they just
get tired of your game.
Exactly.

I haven't killfiled him - he does *occasionally* make actual
contributions to discussion, and I'm too fond of my principles about
killfiling to break them just for him - but that is exactly the reason
why I've considered it from time to time.

(Nowadays I mostly just ignore him, with an occasional tired sigh as I
hit the Next button for the sixteenth consecutive Ethan post at three
o'clock in the morning.)

ender
2006-02-08 23:51:45 UTC
Post by The Wanderer
I haven't killfiled him - he does *occasionally* make actual
contributions to discussion, and I'm too fond of my principles about
killfiling to break them just for him - but that is exactly the reason
why I've considered it from time to time.
Score down his name, just not enough to mark the message automatically
unread. Then score down a few of his keywords, and you'll filter out most
of his noise.
--
< ender ><><><><><><><>◊<><><><><><><>◊<><><><><><><>< e at ena dot si >

Because 10 billion years' time is so fragile, so ephemeral... it arouses
such a bittersweet, almost heartbreaking fondness.
The Wanderer
2006-02-09 06:29:28 UTC
Post by ender
Post by The Wanderer
I haven't killfiled him - he does *occasionally* make actual
contributions to discussion, and I'm too fond of my principles
about killfiling to break them just for him - but that is exactly
the reason why I've considered it from time to time.
Score down his name, just not enough to mark the message
automatically unread. Then score down a few of his keywords, and
you'll filter out most of his noise.
There are two problems with that.

One is philosophical: those principles I mentioned, combined with the
fact that doing that means I'll see a lot of the *other* sides of
discussions he's involved in without having seen his own posts first -
and that's more aggravating to me than just seeing the whole thing to
begin with.

The other is practical: my newsreader does not (as far as I can tell
offhand) support score-based filtering. I've tried on at least one
occasion to switch to pan, which does, but every time I try to create
filters in that program it crashes. So...

(Leaving entirely aside that what I actually *want*, for most purposes
if not the one at hand, is a proper Bayesian learn-as-you-go filter...
Mozilla provides one for its mail client, but not as far as I can tell
for news.)

Ethan Hammond
2006-02-09 09:00:22 UTC
Post by ender
Post by The Wanderer
I haven't killfiled him - he does *occasionally* make actual
contributions to discussion, and I'm too fond of my principles about
killfiling to break them just for him - but that is exactly the reason
why I've considered it from time to time.
Score down his name, just not enough to mark the message automatically
unread. Then score down a few of his keywords, and you'll filter out most
of his noise.
Awww shucks you guys sure are mean.
Ethan Hammond
2006-02-09 08:58:14 UTC
Post by sanjian
Post by Ethan Hammond
I am pretty sure there will be an Empress Natsume Atsuko!
Dear Urd, Ethan, don't you ever quit?
I'm starting to see why others have killfiled you. It's not because
you're a troll or because you're offensive... but because they just get
tired of your game.
Oh quit yer whinin' I think its fairly obvious that I don't!
*Blasts Sanjian with the mighty Super Soaker 1,000,000!*
Ethan Hammond
2006-02-09 09:21:35 UTC
Post by sanjian
Post by Ethan Hammond
I am pretty sure there will be an Empress Natsume Atsuko!
Dear Urd, Ethan, don't you ever quit?
I'm starting to see why others have killfiled you. It's not because
you're a troll or because you're offensive... but because they just get
tired of your game.
It's not a game and for the love of god if you hate it so much would
you just shill out the bucks and build me my real Nuku Nuku already,
BUILD HER! Then I swear I will never bother you with any posts
ever again. I think that is a fair trade off, now can you deliver the
goods, DELIVER THEM!